Wednesday, August 12, 2020

After Working In Finance For 15 Years, I Quit To Photograph Wildlife. Here Are My 38 Favorite Photos From Africa

One day, while visiting the Natural History Museum, by accident, I wandered into the wrong exhibit hall. To my surprise, I had entered the exhibition for the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year. I was astounded by the winning photographs. I was transported visually to a world I had never witnessed before. I was mesmerized by the beautiful artworks on show—in particular, the winning image, Blue Iceberg by Cherry Alexander.

This wildlife exhibition was an uplifting experience and one I would repeat every year. Little did I know the profound effect it would have on my life in years to come.

After working in the finance industry in the City of London for 15 years, I needed a balance in my life. Wildlife photography became my yang! I quit my job.

And in 2005, Africa became the new chapter in my life. The sheer size and magnitude of this continent were overwhelming. From navigating the forests of Bwindi and climbing the peaks of Kilimanjaro through to meandering along the red dunes of the Kalahari, I started photographing Africa.

It may be a cliché, but it is true—photography has become my life. No matter where I am, my mind's eye is taking photographs. It has taught me to see the world in a different light, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

We never know what road we may take in life or the catalyst that changes our life forever. For me, it was a serendipitous wrong turn into the exhibit hall of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year, the world's most prestigious wildlife photography competition, which incidentally I have won an astonishing three times.

More info: peterdelaneyphotography.com | Facebook | Instagram | youtube.com | twitter.com

#1 White-Backed Vulture, Kalahari

#2 Elephant Sunset, Etosha Pan, Namibia

#3 Heart Of Darkness

#4 Bull Elephant, Dust Bathing

#5 Lion Flehmen, Masai Mara, Kenya

#6 Zebra Dance, Addo, South Africa

#7 Tower Of Giraffes

#8 Grey Ghosts Of Etosha, Namibia

#9 Chimpanzee Dreaming, Uganda

#10 Giraffe Tree

#11 Vanishing Point

#12 Deadvlei, Namibia

#13 Gemsbok, Kalahari

#14 Black Rhino Charge

#15 Giraffe Sunrise

#16 Virginia's Tree, Storm Over Mara, Kenya

#17 Dune On Fire, Namibia

#18 Wildebees Trek, Kalahari

#19 Kalahari Black-Maned Lion

#20 Black Rhino Portrait

#21 Heart Of Darkness

#22 Cheetah Mum And Baby

#23 Lion And Cub, Father And Son

#24 Leopard In Autumn

#25 Kalahari Lion Stare

#26 Storm Over The Karoo, South Africa

#27 Looking Back, Zebra Foal

#28 Deadvlei, Namibia

#29 Duke And Duchess, Masai Mara, Kenya

#30 Red Hartebeest

#31 Lappet-Faced Vulture, Botswana

#32 Moonrise Over Quiver Tree Mountain

#33 African Buffalo, Masai, Kenya

#34 Misty Dunes, South Africa

#35 Quiver Tree Forest, Namibia

#36 Lone Wildebeest, Edge Of Etosha Pan

#37 Black Rhino

#38 Olds Dagga Boy, Cape Buffalo



from Bored Panda https://ift.tt/2PHSYjT

No comments:

Post a Comment

IOC designs Solari workstation in collaboration with Gensler

Dezeen Showroom: trestle legs and a customisable, J-shaped privacy screen distinguish the Solari desk system, developed by Italian office...